It should be emphasized here, that George 1825-1907, and William 1832-1883 were great-grandsons of Judge James Fulton, not grand-nephews as noted in the 1955 and 1978 editions of the Bass River History.
In 1847 the two Georges, purchased jointly, a 125 acre piece of land bordering “on the road to Kerr’s Mountain” from James Fulton of Fort Ellis, a first cousin of Samuel Fulton George and William’s father.
It was on part of this property that Chairmaker George later built his home, today (1989) owned and occupied by Mrs. Walter Grue.
In 1856, William purchased 40 ares, also bordering “on the Kerr’s Mountain road,” from James Johnson. It is our understanding that the two brothers, probably assisted by George Creelman, worjed on the building of both these homes. William’s home is today, owned and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Robie K. Hill.
The brothers Fulton, worked at house building, and in the slack periods tried their hand at making some house furniture. Their original shop was situated a few feet from George’s home. Before long they saw the need of water power, and so moved their operation to a site near the mouth of the Bass River. There they installed an “up and down saw,” and soon thereafter set up a lathe that enabled them to finish material for bedsteads.
Thus began the manufacture of furniture in Bass River. All records show 1860 as the year the first mill was built.
George and William worked as partners of a number of years. George was more interested in the actual manufacture and construction of the furniture, while William was more financially inclined, preferring the marketing and selling departments.
After about ten years William proposed they move the business to Truro. Where they would have direct access to railway connections, whereas in Bass River they were faced with a twelve mile haul to the station in Londonderry. However, George liked Bass River and would not leave. William in his went to Truro to set up a furniture factory. This did not prove too successful. William died in 1883 a relatively young man.
Meanwhile the Acadia Chair Company in Portaupique, started by William Campbell, was experiencing financial difficulties. Chairmaker George, a director of the Acadia Factory, bought the business at a Sheriff’s Sale in 1875, and operated it in Portaupique for a couple of years. This not proving very successful, the Portaupique operation was closed and the machinery was moved to Bass River.
George was very fortunate at this time to be able to persuade Isaac MacLellan Munroe, who had worked for Mr. Campbell in the Portaupique Factory to come to work for him in Bass River. Mr. Munroe, an exceptional mechanic, was from that time, until his death in 1918, associated with the Factory at Bass River.